Well, I've just been informed that I'm a liar, or misspoke if you prefer.
I didn't know when I made the previous post that we are actually still using 1,000 as our MaxRequestsPerChild setting. I guess I misunderstood what I was being told last week, and I certainly did not bother to check our configuration before making the previous blog post.
I apologize for any confusion this may have caused. However, the general observation that you may have to experiment with your Apache settings before you find the right combination for your server and its usage patterns still stands. You can't always expect the defaults to work right out of the box.